Posts for tag: Dry Eyes
Dealing with dry eyes? Here’s how to get this problem under control.
With more and more people spending time in front of a screen these days, our Brandon, Plant City, and Sun City, FL, eye doctors are also seeing more and more patients who are complaining of dry eyes. While an acute case of dry eye may benefit from artificial tears, which you can easily purchase over the counter, a chronic or recurring dry eye will require professional care.
What causes dry eyes?
Knowing what’s causing your dry eyes can also help us determine the best way to treat this common issue. Some common causes of dry eyes include,
- Aging (dry eyes may become more common over 50)
- Side effects of certain medications (e.g. antihistamines)
- Eyestrain due to computer use
- Laser eye surgery
- Autoimmune disorders
- Environmental irritants (e.g. smoke)
- Contact lenses
How do I treat dry eyes?
If this is something that you’ve just started dealing with there are some helpful ways to improve dry eyes and get relief. Some ways to manage dry eyes on your own includes,
- Avoiding environments that are dry or smoky
- Using a humidifier, particularly in the bedroom
- Using artificial tears
- Wearing protective glasses when going out on windy days
- Limiting the amount of time you wear your contact lenses
- Taking regular vision breaks from the computer
When should I see an eye doctor?
You should schedule an appointment with one of our eye doctors if at-home treatment isn’t working or if you’re dealing with red, irritated, painful dry eyes that won’t go away. After all, dry eyes can cause damage to the eye and impact vision if left untreated. Our eye doctors will be able to determine what’s causing your dry eyes and provide you with the right treatment option. Some ways to treat dry eyes include,
- Prescription-strength eye drops
- Warm compresses
- Punctal plugs
- Meibomian gland expression
- IPL Treatment
If dry eyes are becoming a common occurrence, it’s worth it to turn to our eye doctors here at Brandon Eye Associates. Our eye doctors provide comprehensive eye care to people living in and around Brandon, Plant City, and Sun City, FL. If you need to schedule an appointment to address dry eyes, call us at (813) 684-2211.
How your eye doctors in Brandon, FL, can help with dry eyes
Dealing with the discomfort of dry eyes? We can help! Here at Brandon Eye Associates in Brandon, Sun City, and Plant City, FL, our eye doctors offer a wide range of eyecare services, including dry eye treatment. Read on to learn more.
Dry Eyes: Causes and Treatment:
Dry eyes can either be a chronic condition due to inadequate tear production, or it can occur intermittently when you are in an air-conditioned room, on an airplane, riding a bike, or looking at a television, computer, or other device for an extended period of time.
Dry eyes can cause several symptoms, including:
- Red, stinging, burning, or scratchy eyes
- Mucus developing in or around your eyes
- Light sensitivity or problems with driving at night
- Tired or watery eyes or blurred vision
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, you artificial tear eye drops - which can be found over-the-counter - may offer some relief. However, for chronic dry eyes, it’'s best to visit your eye doctor, for they can recommend the best treatment to manage the underlying condition that is causing your dry eyes. Additional treatments can keep eyes hydrated by keeping tears from draining away as quickly, or by improving the quality of your tears.
During a consultation, your eye doctor may suggest:
- Medications to reduce eyelid inflammation, including antibiotics
- Eyedrops containing cyclosporine to reduce inflammation of your corneas
- Medications which stimulate tears, including cholinergics
Other treatments for dry eyes include:
- Closing or plugging your tear ducts to keep you from losing tears
- Special contact lenses for dry eyes
- Light therapy using Intense Pulse Light Therapy
- Meibomian gland therapy including MIBOFLOW
- Nutritional supplements to build tear film
Need Relief? Contact Us
To find out more about treatment for dry eyes and other eye conditions, call the eye doctors at Brandon Eye Associates in Brandon, Sun City, and Plant City, FL, today by dialing (813) 684-2211.