Eye Surgery Information
Many patients who have vision problems are now opting for eye surgery. If you’re visually challenged, you just might be a candidate. You may also be surprised to learn about the many different options you have for correcting your eye issue. Find out more about eye surgery and how it can help you live a more productive and fulfilling life without glasses or contact lenses.
Types of Eye Surgery
Some eye ailments can be cured with surgery thanks to modern innovations in the optometric field. Here is a short list of some of the most popular eye procedures available to patients:
- Cataract surgery (removal and replacement of lens in the eye).
- Glaucoma surgery (filtration to relieve pressure in the eye).
- Retinal surgery (to treat a condition called retinopathy, which is more common in diabetic patients as well as retinal detachment).
- Strabismus surgery (for crossed eyes).
- Laser vision corrective surgery (LASIK or PRK).
Many patients are happy to learn that the success rate for many eye surgeries is very high. For instance, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery has found that LASIK has a 96 percent rate of success in giving patients perfect 20/20 vision. According to the Glaucoma Research Foundation, glaucoma filtering has a 70 to 90 percent success rate.
Are You a Candidate?
You will be thoroughly evaluated in advance of any eye surgery, including medical history, eye exam and blood tests. Here are a few things your eye doctor will want to know in order to determine if you are a good candidate for eye surgery:
- How progressive is the damage to the eye?
- Age of the patient (those under 18 aren’t good candidates).
- Have you had surgery in the past?
- That you are not pregnant or nursing.
- That any other medical conditions you have are being controlled.
- You must be willing and able to wear proper eye protection after the surgery for the full period required by your doctor.
See Clearly Now
If you want to see clearly without the aid of glasses or contact lenses, contact Brandon Eye Associates in Brandon or Plant City, FL, to find out more about eye surgery.
Call 813-684-2211 today to schedule a visit with an eye doctor.