Retina Conditions and Treatments In Plant city, FL
The retina is an important part of the eye that can be affected by a number of concerning conditions. Eye doctors treat these conditions with therapy and surgery. Learn about the retina, its function, possible complications and how these issues can be treated by an eye doctor at Brandon Eye Associates in Brandon and Plant City, FL.
What Is the Retina?
The retina is a part of the inside of the eye that is close to the optic nerve. It is responsible for receiving light and converting it to messages that the brain can understand. It is what determines the color and brightness of the images you see in your day. It is a crucial part of what makes you see, and, when it is permanently damaged, it poses a partial or complete risk of blindness.
Complications Related to the Retina
These are the two most common complications related to the retina of the eye that patients should be aware of:
- Diabetic retinopathy (uncontrolled diabetes damages the retinal blood vessels).
- Retinal detachment (retina separates from the wall of the eye due to a trauma or weakness).
Symptoms of a retinal problem include seeing floaters or flashes in the eye, problems seeing properly, and change of eye color or appearance.
Retinal Eye Treatments
Modern retina treatments are available that can improve your vision and promote overall eye health. Here are a few of the most common therapies:
- Focal laser treatment (eliminates blood vessel leakages).
- Grid laser treatment (similar to focal).
- Pan Retinal Photocoagulation (procedure to stop the production of new blood vessels).
- Vitrectomy (removal of damaged tissue in the retina).
- Pneumatic retinopexy (a gas bubble helps new healthy tissue form to reattach retina).
- Cryosurgery (scar tissue aids the reattachment of the retina).
- Sclera buckle (pressure on the eye is reduced with a special device).
Call for an Eye Exam
The first step to treating a retinal eye condition is an exam at Brandon Eye Associates in Brandon or Plant City, FL. A doctor will create a custom care plan to help you improve your vision.